- Using aloe vera over extended periods of time could result in side effects such as loss of potassium, hematuria, albuminuria and fluid imbalance.
- Overpowering rotation develops hyperaldosteronism, inhibition of intestinal motility and the development of cardioactive steroid. Lack of potassium can lead to muscular weakness.
- Abdominal cramps and diarrhea have been reported by a few cases as possible aloe vera side effects after oral intake of aloe vera supplements.
- Diarrhea caused by the laxative effect of oral aloe vera can decrease the absorption of many drugs.
- Diabetic patients that use aloe vera need to be cautious. It can lower your glucose levels 55% but while on glucose reducing medication you should exercise extra caution. You might end up with a considerable decrease in blood sugar levels when aloe vera is taken orally.
It is recommended that aloe vera not be taken under the following circumstances; at the very least, extra caution should be taken:
- During the course of pregnancy or while considering to become pregnant.
- During breast feeding
- During menstruation
- People suffering from appendicitis and inflamed intestinal disorder
- Children may want to avoid taking aloe vera
- People who suffer from abdominal pain
- People who are on antiarrythimic medicine
- People who are on corticosteroids, licorice, or diuretics
- People who suffer from Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis
- People who have undergone surgeries like laparotomy
- People taking drugs with cardiac glycosides
- Taking an overdose of aloe vera supplements could result in intestinal spasms, dehydration or stomach cramps.
- One can suffer from severe diarrhea or kidney conditions in case of taking an overdose of this herb. One can feel unbalanced heartbeats due to the decline of potassium in the blood cells.
There are no significant aloe vera side effects with its use as a topical remedy.
Aloe vera in general is extremely beneficial, at the same time too much of anything is not good for anyone. Natural remedies still need to be used with care and caution and these side effects should not be ignored.