The dangers for home made wine could be:
- Lead poisoning: You need to use food-grade containers at all stages of the wine making process. It can taint the color and flavor of the wine as well.
- Sterilization: Everything should be sterilized and rinsed out multiple times to get rid of the sediment, bacteria and oxidization.
- Racking: Everything has to be clean. If the juice is allowed to sit too long, it will create a musty flavor and smell because of the dead yeast.
- Contaminated Materials: Anything that is in contact with the wine must be sterilized, especially your hands. Any contamination will affect the taste of the wine. If bacteria of any kind gets into your wine, you chance your whole production smelling bad and tasting like vinegar. Oxygen and bacteria ruins wine because it produces an acetic acid.
- Headaches: Tannins and histamines in the wine causes head aches. Tannins are more prominent in red wines and to get the proper balance requires experience.
Tomorrow is wine weekly round up and a recap of the event Awake and Living sponsored on Wednesday night. What an amazing night! Excited to share it will everyone!